Saturday, October 1, 2011

Spaghetti Frittata Scramble

This was just supposed to be Spaghetti Frittata, but a few last-minute corrections to brain dead mishaps led to the creation of a scramble - which turned out just as delectable, if not more so, as the non-mishap version.

















Yes, I realize this is the third night in a row I've eaten some variation of carbs with cheese and tomato sauce. No, that's not what this blog is all about, I've just been really in the mood for that unique comfort brought only by some kind of warm pasta/carby cheesy meal.

One day a few months ago, I had drastically over-estimated the amount of pasta I would need for 4 servings of spaghetti.  The next day, I googled "leftover spaghetti" to see if there were any interesting things I could make besides my usual Spaghetti Sandwich.

Spaghetti Frittata was at the top of the list, and most of the search results were Frittata-related.  (There was also one recipe for a Spaghetti Pancake and one for Fried Spaghetti which are currently on my bucket-list).

After looking at a half dozen recipes, I used the ones from Honest Fare and Slash/Food to create my recipe guidelines.

What I like about recipes like this is they are perfectly adaptable to different tastes and different on-hand ingredients.  "Leftovers" was the theme for this frittata, wherein I used up the remaining zucchini from Thursday's Lasagna Cupcakes, the rest of the Miscellaneous Cheese Mixture from the time I made Cacio e Pepe, a green pepper that needed to be used, and some carrot and onion.


First, I mixed the noodles with Sockorooni so it would have time to soak in while I made preparations.  I didn't measure it, but it was at least 4 cups of prepared pasta. I sprinkled in 1/3 of the remaining Miscellaneous Cheese Mixture into the pasta.  Then, I sauteed the veggies in safflower oil until the bits of zucchini were soft. While the veggies were sauteing, I whisked 5 eggs with some half and half, and added another 1/3 of the Cheese Mixture.  I mixed the veggies and the pasta together really well, then poured the egg all over the mixture.  Finished it off with the very last of the Miscellaneous Cheese Mixture.



I should have just left it alone here. I am used to the things I cook having a short cooking time, or maybe I was just too impatient.  I didn't want the bottom to burn, and I had put in perhaps too much spaghetti, or not quite enough eggs.  So I scrambled it to distribute the eggs so they wouldn't be underdone and give me food poisoning and ruin my big day tomorrow.




After scrambling the whole ordeal, I continued to cook it on the stovetop, and also put it under the broiler for a good few minutes.





Final Thoughts:
This was reeeeeally yummy and fun to eat.

A great breakfast for tomorrow morning before a 10-hour work day at Taste of the Valley.

One unintended but completely awesome outcome of this 'Scramble' is the way the egg blended with the pasta sauce and cheese to create a flavorful, ricotta-like component.  The effect was wonderful!

I will have to try to make an actual Spaghetti Frittata for this blog, but for non-blogging meals in the future, I might stick with cooking it as a scramble because this turned out so good!

Bonus Picture: Tormenting Mojo (he's mid meow)

No comments:

Post a Comment