Sunday, April 8, 2012

Eggs in a Nest - Two Ways

I can't tell you how many times in the last 6 months I have made eggs and toast because that was pretty much all I had to work with.  Eggs, hash browns and toast are one of my go-to poverty breakfasts.  Always with aching necessity have I prepared eggs and toast, and therefore resent them as much as I resent Spanish Rice Casserole, meals that describe hungry times.

But this morning, to commemorate the end of a forced month of frugality, I turned shame into pride and made some really cool eggs in toast and hash browns:

Eggs in a Nest - in the bread!
I'll let you head over to Pinch my Salt for the 'recipe' but basically you just cut a hole in a slice of bread, butter it, crack an egg in it, and when it's mostly set, flip it over and finish cooking it.

The thicker the bread, the smaller the hole needs to be.  I used an old spaghetti sauce jar.  I toasted the 'holes' too so I could put it back on top as a surprise door since I wouldn't let Anthony see what I was making for him.

When I flipped the bread, the egg from the uncooked side spilled out, but that was okay because I served them first side up so they looked great!

If you're going to make toast and eggs, you might as well just put them together like this!!

Eggs in a Nest - a hash brown nest!

This recipe I found on "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Swiss Chard" holds a lot of promise, and I will definitely make these again, but maybe I'll have to buy a larger muffin tin instead of a cupcake pan.  All my "nest" (hashbrowns" stuck to the pan so I just had delicious puffy cupped eggs but no nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment